Essential oils are good for so many things. You can use them for relaxation, mental clarity, better sleep, and even emotional wellbeing.
But today we want to talk about a lesser-known use for essential oils: immune support.
A lot of essential oils are natural antimicrobials. They contain powerful compounds that fight off viruses, bacteria, fungi, and more. That’s what makes them such amazing toxin-free cleaners — and an amazing way to boost your immune system.
Here’s a look at five essential oils that support immunity, and how you can use them to keep yourself and your loved ones feeling great all year long.
1. Lemon Oil
There’s a reason so many household cleaners smell like lemon. This bright, citrusy essential oil gets its scent from limonene and linalool, two natural antimicrobials.
Lemon is one of the most effective essential oils at killing viruses and bacteria[*][*]. Try combining it with peppermint to create a natural cleaner that will kill almost all common pathogens on contact. It’s a great way to keep your home sparkling and protect yourself from viruses and bacteria.
How to use:
- Add 1-2 drops of Lemon oil to your glass or stainless steel bottle of water to support your hydration and cellular health.
- Diffuse 5-10 drops of Lemon oil to help create a bright aroma and to help purify the air.
2. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is also excellent as a cleaner — it gets rid of most common viruses and bacteria[*] — but this refreshing oil can also boost your internal immunity.
The bacteria in your gut are very important for immunity[*]. Good gut bacteria keep you safe from pathogens, while bad gut bacteria can cause your immune system to power down.
Studies show that peppermint oil kills a lot of the worst (and most common) species of bad gut bacteria[*].
How to use:
- Take a capsule containing 3-5 drops of Young Living peppermint oil with food, or add the oil directly to your favorite smoothie or dessert.
3. Lavender Oil
Is there anything better than a good night’s sleep?
Your immune system doesn’t think so. Sleep is one of the most important parts of immune function[*]. It’s during deep, restorative sleep that your immune system has a chance to rebuild itself and get ready for the coming day.
That’s where lavender oil comes in. It’s one of the best ways to help your brain wind down and get ready for sleep.
- People with trouble sleeping saw a significant improvement in time to fall asleep and sleep quality when they started diffusing lavender oil before bed[*].
- Women who had recently given birth also slept a lot better after breathing deeply from a container of lavender-soaked cotton balls[*]. That’s why we recommend 5-10 drops in a diffuser right by your bed.
- Lavender rewires your nervous system for relaxation, helping you release stress and anxiety and find a sense of calm[*].
Lavender can help you fall into deeply rejuvenating sleep. It’s great for your immune system and it feels amazing.
How to use:
- Diffuse 5-10 drops of lavender oil on your nightstand all night long.
- Dab a couple drops of lavender oil on a sleep mask and put it over your eyes for the night.
4. Thieves Blend
Thieves oil is one of the most potent antimicrobial blends you can use. It supports your cellular immune health, helping you fight off infections before they can take hold in your body.
In addition to lemon (which you read about above), Thieves oil contains:
- Clove oil, which boosts immune function in the area outside your cells, protecting them from pathogens[*].
- Eucalyptus radiata oil, which boosts immune function inside your cells[*] — making it the perfect pairing with clove oil.
- Cinnamon oil, which speeds up immune recovery with an anti-inflammatory compound called cinnamaldehyde[*].
- Rosemary oil, which kills common viruses and bacteria and protects your cells from damage[*].
Thieves supports your immune system on several levels. It’s also such a good antimicrobial that we offer an entire Toxin-Free Home Kit that contains all-natural cleaning products made exclusively with Thieves.
How to use:
- Diffuse 5-10 drops of Thieves oil to purify the air and support immunity.
- Use a few drops of Thieves oil and a few drops of olive oil and rub it on your spine and the bottoms of your feet every day.
- Make Thieves Tea: 3 drops Thieves oil in a cup of hot water with a squeeze of raw honey and some fresh lemon or 1 drop of Young Living Lemon oil.
- Put 2-3 drops of Thieves oil with a few drops of olive oil in a vegetable capsule when you have a dip in your wellness.
DiGize is a combination of eight soothing essential oils that supports gut health, as well as directly enhancing immunity. It contains tarragon, ginger, peppermint, patchouli, lemongrass, anise, fennel, and juniper.
Each oil in DiGize supports either gut health or immunity, or both! Here are some highlights:
- Ginger oil boosts your cellular immune response[*].
- Peppermint oil soothes intestinal inflammation, which promotes immunity in your gut[*].
- Tarragon oil kills E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus, two of the most common bad gut bacteria that get out of control[*].
How to use:
- Make a roller blend with equal parts carrier oil and DiGize or take 1-2 drops and rub around the navel with each meal to support digestion.
- For stomach aches, you can apply several drops of DiGize with several drops of Thieves in a carrier oil and apply around your navel every couple of hours until you feel better.
- Ingest several drops of Young Living Digize with olive oil in a vegetable capsule with your heaviest meal of the day to optimize digestion and prevent bloating.
How To Support Your Immune System Every Day
We all need a little immune support sometimes. Essential oils are one of the best ways to keep yourself and your family feeling great year round.
If you’re new to essential oils (or you want to restock), the Premium Starter Kit is perfect for you. It has all the immune-supporting oils mentioned in this article, as well as essential oils for stress, anxiety, sleep, mood, and more.
The Premium Starter Kit also includes a diffuser, as well as recipes, daily wellness routines, a complete beginner’s guide to essential oils, and more. Give it a try; you’ll be so glad you decided to bring essential oils into your home.